Saturday, January 23, 2010

this mouse and i, we've been hanging out a lot.


despereaux.
Originally uploaded by Laura Hartrich
But soon our time together will come to an end. I'll deliver him to the friend who ordered him on Tuesday. The picture I was given was very detailed, very sketchy, and also a little blurred. It wasn't easy to translate into fabric, but I'm pleased with how it turned out. This is the first time I've done any applique, and it was fun. Cutting out the gold felt was tricky. My tiny sharp embroidery scissors came in very handy. I like how the felt adds some interesting texture to the piece, like another dimension. Anyway, this is Despereaux. He's pretty cute. Have you read the book? I enjoyed it.








(Here is the image on which I based the embroidery.
I should have made his nose a little more pointy.
Other than that I am happy with this piece.)

3 comments:

Bonnie said...

enjoyed the book? I LOVED it!

the felt is my favorite part, LB. but the whole thing is gorgeous.

loola said...

um, hellllooooo! you are freakin' AMAZING! i am in such awe of this work, just like every other piece you do. i bow down to the queen of skill. xoxo

Mama Niccicoco said...

This is so cool Laura! You can do ANYTHING!