Thursday, April 25, 2013

Sylvia's Quilt

I finished another baby quilt.  This one went to our new niece Sylvia.  I used the fat quarter pattern from Two Little Banshees again.  It is such a quick and easy pattern, and it's nice to be able to shop for fabric in bundles instead of individually (especially since I don't have a car at my disposal to go fabric-store hopping these days).  Plus I like that Sylvia's quilt used the same pattern as her brother Owen's.  So they have a little set of matching quilts, albeit with very different fabrics.



I bought the fat quarter bundle from Hawthorne Threads.  They have a lot of really pretty bundles to choose from.  I loved picking such a girly bunch of fabrics for this little lady.  My sister in law Jessica does not shy away from the girly colors.  She loves pink and Sylvia has a gorgeous pink nursery.  I think these bright feminine prints will fit in nicely.


I was frustrated yet again when it came to the quilting of this quilt.  I was pleased with the top (for which I used the pattern), and I was pleased with the back (which I pieced together randomly from scraps),  and I felt like I ruined them once began quilting.  I had a lot of puckers again.  I think it might have been due to my deficient basting process.  Or the fact that I took off my walking foot and used the regular foot to do my quilting.  Whatever the cause, it didn't work out well, and my quilting was less than stellar.  Again.  I'll keep trying, though.  The good thing was that after I washed and dried it, the puckers and mistakes were much less evident.

I added a few hand-stitched details on this quilt, which I like to do when I have time.  I hope Miss Sylvia will get some good snuggles and naps out of this quilt!  I enjoyed making it for her and holding her for a few hours when I met her last weekend.  Not many things in this world sweeter than a brand new baby.


No comments: