Monday, March 18, 2013

auction goodies 2013

The kids have a school auction coming up.  The parents who put the auction together asked for donations.  I decided to offer a custom embroidery portrait as an auction item.  And then, because I'd be getting a bit of free publicity through the auction, I decided to offer them in my etsy shop as well.  You can check out the listing.  It will be interesting to see if I have any takers.  I know $250 is a lot of money to pay for anything, but they do take a long time to make, and I think it is actually a good value for something that can be a treasured object for many years to come.  I'm still working on my own collection of custom portraits, and I'm learning that you get what you pay for.  I've been splurging on some more expensive artists, and I really LOVE the portraits coming back to me.  Anyway, custom portraits!  By me!  Available here!  (I also think this means I'll have to make time to embroider some pictures of my own boys, to add to our collection.  It would be silly for me to make them only for other people, and never one for us).


 Back to the auction, each class also donates either a themed basket full of goodies, or a group art project.  I helped with T's class project.  One of the other families had a bookshelf to donate, and I was asked for ideas on how to make it into a group project.  I immediately thought of this bookshelf that I decoupaged a few years ago.  My idea was to let the kids decorate leaves that I would then decoupage onto the shelf.  I cut out all the leaves, brought in a collection of papers for them to use, and let them go crazy making collages / drawings on the leaves.  Then I decoupaged them onto the bookshelf in a vine pattern.  I love the way this turned out.  I love how every leaf is a little work of art, and I love the overall design on the piece.  I hope it does well at the auction.  Big money big money!

Here you can see the top of the bookshelf plus some of the individual leaves.

The sides of the bookshelf have leaves running up in a modern pattern.  Each leaf is an original collage or drawing by one of the first graders in T's class.

UPDATE: This post is tardy; it took me a while to get the pictures together.  The auction is over.  Bookshelf went for $110.  A bargain, if you ask me, but at least it had several bids in the silent auction.  A tough sell, perhaps, because there were only a handful of parents there from T's class, and of those, it would need to be someone with room for a bookshelf.  :)

The embroidery portrait only had one bid and, I will admit, my pride was wounded.  I think the examples could have been displayed better and that maybe then there would have been more bids.  I think I'm going to offer one again at an upcoming church auction and see if it does better there.  That is all.

2 comments:

Nara said...

$110?! Now I am SUPER EXTRA SAD I couldn't go. I was consoling myself with the thought that it probably went for 2-300 and I couldn't have afforded it anyway. AW MAN. It looks lovely...

emedoodle said...

Hi Laura, you left a comment on my blog mommy's nap time earlier today - I went to comment and you're a no-reply blogger so I couldn't email you back! :) Anyway, for my binding tutorial I use Amanda Jean's method for attaching the raw edges to the front of the quilt (tutorial here: http://crazymomquilts.blogspot.com/2008/10/binding-tutorial.html) then use my tutorial (http://mommysnaptime.blogspot.com/2011/05/no-pins-no-handsewing-binding-tutorial.html) for the rest. :) I hope that helps, drop me a line at emedoodle@yahoo.com if you need any more help. Sorry for hijacking your comment form here!

PS the shelf is pretty awesome!