Friday, September 28, 2012

october is nigh

Some recent photos... my parents were here for a visit and of course we walked by several of the Frank Lloyd Wright homes.  So pretty.  I love them.




S is now playing the bells.  He'll eventually progress to the snare drum.  But the bells are the first rung on the ladder of percussion.  He didn't want to do it, we twisted his arm, but that's typically how it goes with S.  And he has made some friends as a result of his involvement in band, so I already feel justified in my decision to push him.  He pulls his bells to and from school in this giant rolling bag each week.



Oh my goodness, where did September go?  It went so fast.  We're well into the school routine now, and I had a birthday.  I don't feel any wiser, and I don't have my life together like I always promise myself I will by my next birthday.  But that's okay.  My focus for September was to get the apartment in good shape and to help the boys settle in to school.  Both of those things were accomplished, for the most part.

I have a few goals for October, things I've been meaning to do but have been putting off because of the move.  Now that we're pretty much moved in, it's time to put some energy toward some other things on my list.

---After school snacks.  I want to have something ready each day that the boys can eat while we sit and do homework.  Something simple, something planned, just something.  Normally I don't think about it until after we've been working on homework for 20 minutes and the boys are hungry and cranky and then I can't find anything to give them.

---Lunch hour reading time.  Sure, I waste some time while the boys are at school, but mostly I just work work work.  There is always something to do for the shop.  Make more onesies, pack and ship orders, take photos, etc.  I can stay busy all day.  So I want to make myself take a little break in the afternoon and sit down with a book for 20 minutes at least.  I deserve a break, plus I have a lot of books I want to read.  I'm going to set an alarm on my phone to remind me to stop working and read for a bit.  Furthermore, if it's nice outside I'll sit in the park.  If it's not I'll go to the library.  It will be good for me to step outside the apartment every afternoon, I think.

---Less tv during the day; more podcasts, audiobooks, music, or silence.  I can work while I watch tv and movies.  I can get a lot done.  And sometimes media can be inspiring, but too much can drain my creative juices.  I need to give my brain a break from all the input once in a while.  I'm going to try to give myself that break.  It takes some self restraint, though.  Especially when I get sucked into a series.  Like Misfits.  Or Prime Suspect

---Make something with the boys.  Once a month, on a weekend.  That's my goal.  I have so many ideas marked on Pinterest, but I'll never actually do them unless I give myself a goal.  This goal, by the way, has been cut back from an ambitious one project per week, to two per month, to one a month.  Trying to be more realistic with my expectations of myself and of life.

---Track my spending.  Something I meant to do in September but didn't.  What can I say, it's a hard habit to embrace.  I'm gonna do it in October.

One last picture.  The boys had some cupcakes the other day from a fancy bakery called Crumbs.  Thanks to my mom.  And they were indeed very crumbly.  So I had the boys eat them in the bathtub to try to contain the mess.  It kind of worked.  When T stood up he had crumbs smashed all over his bum and socks.  Squirming around in a bathtub full of crumbs is kind of messy in and of itself, turns out.  They had a good laugh while they were in there, though.
Talk to you soon, guys.  xoxo

No comments: