Monday, July 5, 2010

this one.

I finished another embroidery. This is for Jay M. The image comes from a book cover, some old thing I thrifted once upon a time, and cannot find now. Something about this boy walking on the beach caught my eye... I really love this image a lot. I added something else to this piece that I think makes it special. You'll have to click through to my flickr page to see them up close, but there are some teeny tiny words stitched on here, in among the rocks at the bottom of the scene. They are from a poem by Mary Oliver, The Summer Day. "Tell me, what is it you plan to do, with your one wild and precious life?" The image and the sentiment of the words fit together well, I thought. I know the text is super tiny, but I wanted to make it blend in with the rocks and waves, which I think it does. You can see it better in person.

Summer is still flying by! More embroideries on the way, and hopefully some updates on what we've been doing.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

This is stunning! I love how I can recognize your handwriting even in your embroidery. Beautiful piece.