Sunday, June 13, 2010

another summer check in.

Chalkboard! I got this chalkboard on amazon and it has improved the flow of our days. Every night I write our plans for the next day. The boys check it first thing in the morning. It helps them to know what to expect of our day.

I can't tell you how helpful it is for me to stop every night and think about what we'll be doing tomorrow. It ensures that I won't forget any appointments or activities that are on the calendar. If the calendar is blank, I then need to think of a couple things for us to do that day. The day I took a picture of the chalkboard is a good example. Nothing on the calendar, but between a trip to the gym, an errand at WalMart, the boys earning their stars for their charts, reading library books, and picking up our CSA veggies, our day felt pretty full without being too busy. This way we avoid days where I don't feel like doing anything so we stay at home and gripe at each other all day. If it's on the chalkboard, I am committed. It gets us up and going, even if the calendar is empty. A little structure is a good thing. I know I'm going on and on about this chalkboard. What can I say? It's such a simple tool, but it has already done wonders for our summer. I can see it being helpful during the school year too; I think it will stick around.

S is learning to ride his bike! He's doing great. Nate has done all the heavy lifting on that one... it's not easy to teach a kid to ride a bike. The part where you have to run alongside is especially physically taxing. But they are beyond that now. Very exciting.

T insists on sleeping in his undies every night and then wakes up early, complaining of being cold. I'm trying to convince him to wear jammies again.

That's all for now. xoxo

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great idea, Laura! I hope your summer is beautiful and lives up to expectations.

It's so fun to "stop by" your blog once in a while to see what ya'll are up to! :)

Thanks for the note welcoming Iona! It was such a great surprise to find a card from you in the mailbox. We are all doing our best to soak up these sweet days of itty bitty babyness.

Love to all!
Kate