Sunday, May 16, 2010

happening now.

I want to document a couple things that are happening in our house lately.

One thing is that S has become a reader.  A serious reader, who reads by himself for enjoyment and can seemingly read almost anything he comes across.  His reading skills have been improving steadily all year, but it's only recently that he picks up a book when he's bored.  It's still surprising and thrilling for me to walk around the corner and find him with his nose in a chapter book, or quietly working out a puzzle in a magazine.  It's amazing.  I love it.  I hope he will enjoy reading for his entire life.


The other thing I have to document is a game T has created called Spy Bakugan.  Let me try to explain it.  It's a sort of talking/ imagining game, in which you must create a bakugan piece by piece.  You start by choosing your bakugan's attribute (which corresponds to its symbol and its color, and I guess means something about its powers), then pick how many points your bakugan has.  Next you build your bakugan using parts of real bakugans, whose names you are expected to know.  For instance, you could say, "My bakugan has an Elphin head, Gargonoid shoulders, Tigrerra arms, Drago stomach, and El Condor legs."  Sometimes T will let you stop there.  Other times you have to go all the way down to toes and TOE NAILS.  Sometimes T insists you create two or three bakugan.  Sometimes you can do just one, but then have to listen to him rattle off three or four.  It's hard to understand what he gets out of this game, but he demands to play it many times a day.  It gets tiresome, I'm not going to lie.  I really hope this little obsession fizzles out soon.  In the meantime, Spy Bakugan has been made considerably easier due to the acquisition of The Bakugan Handbook.  Thank you, Grandma Sliger.  Now that we have this book, we can just flip through and name whatever bakugan we happen to land on.  It makes the process much more bearable.

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

I LOVE that Simon's a reader!