Monday, May 25, 2009

pleased as punch.

Allow me to introduce you to my most recent baby, born only yesterday...

Yes, it's a garden. And I am excited. The actual plot is small, only 4' x 8'. But then I made a substantial mulch border around the edge, and put up a (hopefully!) rabbit-proof fence around that. The border makes the garden look tiny and I thought the whole plan was kind of ridiculous at first (it was my plan --- I'm my own harshest critic). The more I think about it, though, I believe that border will be just fine. It gives me enough room to move around and work my garden. It's also big enough that I could plant some flowers in it, and/or place some potted plants around. Next year, if I want to go bigger, I can just rake the whole plot over, let the mulch decompose over winter, and till up the border as well as the existing garden. We'll see. For this year, though, I think this set-up will do nicely. Now I just hope my little plants and seeds grow and that I don't have to engage in any serious critter wars. The fence was my preemptive strike.

My in-laws helped a ton with this project. I absolutely could not have done it without their time, brute strength, and experience, all of which they offered up so generously. I'm hoping to pay them back in tomatoes.

4 comments:

Colin said...

that's rad! I'm jealous, and proud of you. Way to go.

Angela said...

Also jealous with a capital J. And nostalgic....for my mama's garden. My brother and I used to try to be the first one awake when the strawberries were ripe, so we could run out and eat all the newly ripe berries before the other one awoke. Ahhh.

maryflorence said...

I've read that if you put red christmas ornaments in the garden the birds will think they're tomatoes and try to eat and then they get nothing so by the time the tomatoes grow, the birds have been fooled.....

sarah hedman said...

oh man, i have garden envy. after growing up with that huge garden i feel it isn't natural for me to NOT have one, but I don't have a good spot. someday, i WILL attempt it though. Hope your plants do well!