Sunday, January 18, 2009

A while ago I found a list in our bedroom. I recognized Nate's handwriting and read the list. I'm paraphrasing from memory, but it read something like this:
-change light bulb on porch
-file taxes
-replace screen
-take mix cd to bars
-continue being awesome.

I thought this last item was really funny, and I asked him about it. He said he always tries to put one silly item on every list he writes. To keep it light. I felt like I knew my husband a little better after that short conversation.

This week I've been spending a lot of time in my craft room, trying to sort and organize all the stuff in there. And there is a LOT of stuff. Please, if you ever see me trying to buy any small notebooks, ball point pens or permanent markers in the next 5 years, stop me. Take my hand and lead me away from the check-out line. Anyway, in one of the many half-filled notebooks floating around the craft room, I found this little planning session for a chair I made. It was supposed to be a music-themed peace chair. I was racking my brain for the perfect phrase to use in the design. (Here is what I eventually settled on). I think I was taking a cue from Nate here. One of the many wonderful things I've learned from him... keep your lists light.

I also found this computer illustration that I made when I was 12. I like how I only signed my last name, like a real artist. My dad must have been impressed, because he took the time to jot down the pertinent information on the back. Isn't that sweet?

Finally, evidence that I have always loved to cut and paste paper. I think I was pretty young when I made this for my Grandma Collins (mom's mom). I remember it was pinned to a cork board in a spare bedroom for many years. I would gaze at it proudly whenever we visited their house. I don't know how I came to get it back after my grandparents moved out of their little house to live with my aunt who cared for them until they passed away. My mom must have grabbed it for me.
The craft room is really coming along. We have plans to paint it in February and put up some new IKEA furniture. I can't wait. It has been a catch-all junk room for too long. I'm really excited for it to be a functional work space. I'll show you pictures, of course. For now, the tidiest spot is this little shelf that holds all the boys' craft supplies. I found it on the side of the road. It works nicely.

PS You might be interested in this new addition to my arm. I got it yesterday. See here for inspiration.

2 comments:

mandy said...

i love your new ink!!! ricky did my one and only many years ago. he rocks.

Kelly Annabella said...

WHAT AN ADORABLE SHELVING UNIT.
seriously, seeing things put in order like that brings me so much JOY.

we had the BEST time yesterday. i hope we see you SO SOON.