Tuesday, January 13, 2009

There's a fish... in the percolater.


If you've seen me in person lately, chances are you've seen me working on this project. I've been taking it everywhere with me, trying to finish it up. It's a shirt for Nate, and it has been on my hoop for at least 7 months. Other projects have come and gone in the meantime, and this kept getting pushed to the back of the list since it's for Nate.

Carcassonne is the name of a game Nate and I enjoy playing together. It's a board game, except there is no board. Instead you play with these tiles. It's a fun game. We recommend it. The tile that I stitched onto this shirt is the start tile, the one you lay down first and build on for each game.

Front.

And back.


I'm not very happy with how this came out. I won't go on and on about it (I could, believe me). My biggest beef is that the design is not exactly straight on the shirt. And that is extremely irksome. A silly mistake. The other thing is that the design is too dense for the weight of the tee shirt. As a result it's not laying properly, but rather wrinkling and puckering in many unattractive ways. Also, the back looked like a square when I was working on it, but shrunk up into a rectangle after being washed. Ah, well. Basically from this experience I have learned that on tee shirts I need to keep designs simpler and looser, less dense. From now on I'll save these more detailed designs for something meant to be stretched and framed.

Okay, so I did go on and on. Sorry. Now I'm done.

Nate is still gone tonight. I had some meetings to attend, but decided not to go because I had a migraine all day and am totally wiped out. Grandma Deb still came and got the boys and I am so glad. I'm so tired. I'm going to go to bed early, I think. It's nice to have a break from the boys, but I am lonely. I wish that Nate was here, that he would start a fire for me, and that we would watch 2 episodes of Twin Peaks. I haven't written about Twin Peaks, have I? We are watching it via Netflix and I'm slightly obsessed. I really like it a lot. But it does kind of freak me out. Sometimes I have trouble sleeping after we watch it. I'm a wimp, I know. Have you guys seen it? Weird and great.

7 comments:

Banana Mama said...

Just my opinion, but those are so gorgeous that I think you should cut away the t-shirt, mount them on something more sturdy, then reattach them to a t-shirt so Nate can wear them. You deserve to be happy with them. Screw the original t-shirt. Again, just my opinion. They are beautiful!!

Anonymous said...

These are clever and look incredible. Well done! Maybe you can convince your husband to like other games like Catan, too! hehehehe

(Seen on flickr)

--PMM

Jay M. said...

I kind of want to agree. Those are beautiful. They deserve to be displayed the way you intended.

mandy said...

your post made me smile. i feel the same way tonight but not as lonely now.

Maiasaura said...

Thanks, all!
I am considering your suggestion, Janna. Maybe a shirt with heavier fabric would be better. Some kind of button down, maybe? I'll look into it.

rocky1981 said...

Your creativity always amazes me, Laura. I host many Carcassonne nights and got excited as soon as I saw the first picture on this blog entry. Awesomeness.

Manel Marqués said...

So you made it for your husband?
Marry me!!!

Now, seriously: good job. Great.