Monday, December 1, 2008

How was your Thanksgiving? Ours was very filling and busy, three different feasts, and many hours of play for two boys who are now pretty tired.

I am in the process of re-negotiating the boys' schedules in the afternoons. I have always been a strict nap/rest time enforcer. S has long outgrown his nap, but I always made him spend at least an hour upstairs playing quietly after lunch. In the last few months it had become a battle, with him complaining about going upstairs, and me resorting to unseemly tactics to get him up there. I finally decided, last week, that his quiet time days are over. After all, it won't be long before he's at school in the afternoons and then I'll probably miss him. So I try to think of something we can work on together, a craft, a project, a chore... something. It was not easy for me to give up that hour of quiet time. But it needed to be done.

I was feeling pretty good about my decision, feeling like a selfless mama who did the best thing for her big boy. Then T started climbing out of his crib at rest time and I wanted to cry. Whether I can convince T to stay in his room for a decent quiet time remains to be seen. It was easy when he was stuck in his crib. Why doesn't he nap anymore? He's only 2, for crying in the mud. I miss naps. So much.

It's December. Did you know that? The advent calendar went up today. The boys were excited, though I did have to lay down the law when I caught S sneaking into the boxes on his own. Only one box per day. Them's the rules.

I'm kind of stressed about Christmas already. I don't know why. Okay, maybe I do. It's so dang expensive. Last year we set a budget but I went way over, causing plenty of marital stress. This year I am determined to do better, but am also kind of sad because I think Christmas morning might be a little underwhelming for the boys. I guess there are a lot of people in this situation, and situations far worse, so I should stop complaining. I've just got gifts on the brain right now. It takes a lot of planning to make the most of a budget, so it's taking up a good deal of my mental energy. So blogging might be intermittent during this season.

Man, guys... time, time, time. Where does my time go? Now that my afternoon free time is gone, I don't know how I'll get anything done. I should work on projects in the evening, but I'm tired and want to watch tv under a blanket with my hubby at night. I probably need to cut down on my internet time. I subscribe to all these craft blogs, as you know. I used to inspired be them, but now I often find myself getting frustrated. Most of these bloggers have young kids too, and they are always posting a million awesome projects and ideas! How? I don't understand it all. Some of them even homeschool (or unschool) their kids. When do they get stuff accomplished? It leaves me scratching my head and/or shaking my fist. It's probably time to unsubscribe from some blogs, don't you think? Yes, I think so.

Blathering on, I know. This is what happens when I blog so infrequently.

We had quite a bit of snow yesterday and today. The white blanket outside changes the quality of light in the house. As I walk through the rooms now, I remember the first time we saw the house. It was winter then, too, with snow on the ground. The house was empty then, of course, but this same wintertime light cloaked the corners and the walls. I fell in love that day and I still love this house, every room.

7 comments:

Jay M. said...

Holiday stress is no fun. And I understand how easy it is to lose hours on the internet.

I don't know about Simon and Theo, but when I was a kid, I loved having things to unwrap. We'd get our stockings super early, and there'd be some little things and sweets in them to tide my brother and I over while my parents tried to wake up.

Afterward, it didn't matter all that much what the bulk of the presents were, I think a big part of the excitement was seeing a bunch of presents under the tree. Of course some of them were boring, socks or pants, or something else non-fun for a child, but it was still fun to guess what they were and tear the paper off a package.

As long as you can manage to get one thing they each have their heart set on, you'll be doing great. The rest is just icing on the cake.

Megan said...

I was thinking the exact same thing, Jay.

Megan said...

Nap time is what gets me thru the day. I went thru the same thing with Mia when she turned 2. I had to fight with her everyday to get her to lay down & then again at night to go to bed. I just decided that it wasn't worth it. I am dreading the day Dane goes to 1 nap!

mandy said...

no naps is awful. right there with you...for a while bedtime at 7 was a breeze because he was so tired but we fight now. it's so frustrating.
there are a few craft blogs that irritate me, too, because of those reasons. unschooling kids, making beautiful things in the woods, made from scratch dinner.....

sarah hedman said...

L- I can relate to trying to find a balance between getting inspired by certain creative resources and getting overwhelmed by them. I don't feel like myself if I don't have some kind of project or idea going. BUT when i stop enjoying the process because I am frustrated that I can't do all the cool stuff I see in the blogs THEN I take a step back and don't look at them for awhile. I find sometimes i do better staying kind of isolated with little doses of outside inspiration here and there. The constant stream of ideas and exciting new prospects exhausts me. So my advice is to ENJOY it again. Don't get down on yourself because you can't do al the things everyone else is doing. by the way, women and mamas out there look at your blog and think the same thing - "how does she come UP with this cool stuff and WHEN does she find the time??? She is so cool"

kristin said...

i don't even have children and i have no time to craft so don't feel bad! i'm completely amazed at what you've posted that you've created with so little time.

Tonya said...

Losing nap time is my greatest fear! Jonah still naps, but since I could give birth any day I know my days are numbered with a break during the day. :( That's how we keep our sanity!

I feel your pain in the present department too, times are tough and we have 7 nieces and nephews to buy for, and also our son! It's the last thing on my mind right now being 9 months preggo!