Thursday, November 13, 2008

the last two chairs.

I have a confession to make. My blog break may have been less inspired by Barack's victory than by the fact that I had one week to finish two chairs. I kept thinking I had plenty of time to finish these orders, but then Halloween happened and all of a sudden I had ONE WEEK TO FINISH TWO CHAIRS! Oh, did I already say that? You can probably guess that I usually work at a much slower rate. I busted my butt to get these two done, but they are done now and ready to head to Chicago tomorrow.

Okay, about the chairs quickly. The client asked me to make a chair for her granddaughter based on the illustrations by Cicely Mary Barker. I checked out one of her books from the library and found a flower fairy with pretty simple shapes that I thought I could re-create. The image on the seat is a combination of paper collage and ink sketching. I think it's pretty cute. This is by far the girliest chair I have ever made. Girly girly girly to the max.

The second chair is for a client who asked for a peace chair. I wanted to try a new design. I think they'll like it.


Oh, you guys. I am sooo relieved to have these finished. Wow. I don't want to do any more commissioned work for a long time. Like, maybe until T is in kindergarten. It's too stressful. And I have too many projects I want to work on for my own family. Understand, I am grateful and flattered that people enjoy these chairs enough to pay me to make them, and to wait for months while I do it. I can definitely see myself doing more crafty business in the future, but for now I need to bring my focus and my creative energy back to my parenting and my house.

Nate and I are heading to Chicago for the weekend. I'm excited to deliver my chairs (and shelf), to see good friends, and to sleep in for as long as my internal-mommy-clock will let me.

6 comments:

Bonnie said...

I love the girly chair.

Angela said...

Love the chairs, as well. Can't wait to see you guys!!!!!!!!!

Beth said...

Hey, give us a call! We're around if you can stop by.

Megan said...

Sounds like a well deserved break.

Mama Niccicoco said...

you are so talented! i can imagine the stress from having to get both of these done in a week! no wonder you are burned out! they look great!

sarah hedman said...

great job, laura!