Thursday, October 30, 2008

robot test run = great success! (please read in Borat voice).

Yesterday was the fall party for S's class. I was one of two room mothers who helped out. But before the party, the kids had a little costume parade.
S's costume was a huge hit. In this picture you can see how his classmates were enchanted.We did have a little trouble with the back staying on, despite my high-tech hairband attachment system. Part of the problem was that the parade wound through tightly-packed classrooms. Our robot got stuck between two desks more than once. And that is when the back came off. But we shouldn't have that problem while trick-or-treating.

The greatest relief of the morning was that he never once complained of it being heavy or uncomfortable. Yea! I was so happy. He was clearly very proud of his costume and received countless compliments. Later we were reminiscing about the parade and he said, "Mom, I thought they would make fun of me, but they really loved my costume!" Yes, they really did.Finally, here are the snacks I took to S's class party. I knew I wanted to take something moderately healthy, but still cute and appealing to kids. I read about this idea on Niccole's blog.An orange for each kid, scooped out, then filled with other fruit (I used apples and grapes). I stuck a toothpick through each lid and wrapped it with green pipecleaner. Don't worry, we didn't waste all of the orange guts... we made fresh orange juice. See, mom, I do use my juicer!
The kids' reactions to these snacks were awesome. Only two or three didn't eat them, but most gobbled them up first thing. I thought that was pretty good considering they also had a chocolate cupcake on their plates.

6 comments:

Kelly (winfrey) said...

amazing.

bethany and i were talking the other day. we agree. you are the number one mom ever.

:)

sarah hedman said...

wow. what a great costume and what a great idea for treats!! I am going to have to steal that one for next year in the girls' classes. I always get so annoyed that they get sooooo much junk food. I made josie' costume this year ( a bird) and it turned out cute. i'll have to show you pictures.

Colin said...

excellent orange treats, ma! and way to go on the costume, Simon looks like a total badass.

Looking forward to seeing you guys at the wedding!!

Megan said...

What a great costume! I love your idea for the treats too! I am already dreading all the candy they are going to bring home. Happy Halloween!

Tonya said...

OMG I LOVE LOVE LOVE the pumpkin snacks!!! I'll have to remember that for when my boys are older. Awesome job on the robot costume btw, well done.

Not Another Omnivore said...

I just happened across your blog and thsoe pumpkins are to die for!

NAOmni