Wednesday, September 3, 2008

My brother in law has had a really good recovery from brain surgery. He will be going home tomorrow, after over a week spent in hospital. We are very relieved and happy everything has gone so well.


I finished another chair! Slowly I am making my way through these orders. I want to be finished with them all by mid-October. Anyway, this one was for Miguel. His mother had so many ideas for his chair. He loves baseball and basketball and Spiderman and dinosaurs and reading, she told me. I wasn't sure how I would incorporate all of those themes into one chair. Then I recalled how she emphasised his love of drawing. A drawing boy, then, was what I landed on for the design. And the collage that he has "drawn" showcases many of Miguel's interests (plus a few things I'm just hoping he likes, based on my experience as a mother of boys). This is a lot different from any other chair I've done. I like it, and I hope Miguel and his mother like it too.

Here's a sad story for you. Yesterday as I was getting T dressed, I heard and felt a little pop. I could see immediately that he was in pain. I had been holding his wrist at the time, pulling him up to a sitting position from laying down on the bed. So I thought it was his wrist, but it turned out to be his elbow. Nursemaid elbow, the doctor called it. The article I linked to states that the force that causes the injury may not be strong, and that was true in my case. I wasn't angry or in a hurry. We were doing our absolute normal daily dressing routine. His arm must have been twisted in exactly the wrong way when I pulled him up. It was pretty embarrassing to ask the doctor to examine an injury that I CAUSED MY OWN CHILD. I felt horrible, and still get a little uneasy in my stomach to think about the whole thing. Thankfully, it was an easy fix and now I know to be much more careful with his little arms. I'm sorry, sweetheart.

5 comments:

Colin said...

Very glad to hear that your brother in law's operation went well --- wish him a quick recovery from the Chicago crew.

sarah hedman said...

OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!! This EXACT thing happened to me with Evangeline this summer. I was just getting her dressed like normal and then all of a sudden, she was crying and wouldn't move her arm at all. I was devastated. But you are right - it was a quick and immediate fix which was amazing. our poor little persons. love you! and hopefully see you soon!

Megan said...

Glad to hear your brother in law is on the road to recovery. Love the chair, so creative.

Angela said...

First off, way to comment on my blog! We've practically had a conversation. Thank you, age of technology we live in.

Secondly, one of the worst things about adulthood is dealing with medical issues, whether they be child or brother-in-law, or parents or even self. Glad you've made it through these recent brushes.

Mama Niccicoco said...

That chair is amazing! So would you do a hanging piece like that or something. My son loves to draw and I would love to get him something like that, but we are pretty limited space wise. Maybe just a piece of art to hang in his room...

I have never heard of nursemaid elbow, but we have all done something like that accidentally hurting our babies. I did a somersault one time and my heel hit jack right in the eye....he was screaming like a banshee and I felt horrible. I guess that stuff comes with parenting. ):