Thursday, September 25, 2008

kilroy. i am kilroy. kilroy.

I had a nice birthday. I was treated to lunch by my sister and a friend. Between the three of us, we had seven kids at the table, all five and under. It got a little crazy toward the end, but I had a good time, and I know the boys definitely had fun. That afternoon I treated myself to a nap. Then for dinner I gorged on sushi with my husband's family, followed by a huge helping of, you know it's coming, Baskin Robin's mint chocolate chip. Ah, nothing like a day of celebration revolving totally around food. Two days later, I'm still stuffed.

My sister in law and her fiance got me one of those singing cards. It had a robot motif and played the chorus of Mr. Roboto by Styx. The boys and I had seen this card before, as we were meandering through Kroger one day. They were thrilled to now own it. On the way to Sushi Gawa we heard that chorus probably 60 times. T was especially enamoured and took the card to bed with him. It was out of batteries in the morning, of course. So youtube had to step in for the boys to get their Domo Arigato fix. This video is so, so crazy. (I guess Styx doesn't like their videos to be embedded to other sites. Showing their age, perhaps?) Apparently it's from a rock opera or concept album or something. The whole look is so hilarious. The violet turtleneck and jumpsuit? Amazing. We've heard this song a lot in the last two days, and I'm ready for a break. Thank you very much, Mr. Roboto.

T is suffering some mysterious ailment. Definitely has a fever and is generally clingy and grouchy. I missed my kickboxing class today because of his malaise. I also missed my normally happy little guy. Baby come back, you can blame it all on me.

I wanted to put up some pictures from the Pumpkin Festival today. They are a few weeks old at this point, but still worth sharing.

So, we signed S up for the big wheel race. Isn't that a fantastic idea for an event?
We were pumped all week.

Before the races started, there were a thousand little kids whipping around the parking lot in a frenzy. It was crazy. It was right on the edge of what I can handle as a parent without freaking out about safety and whatnot.

S had plenty of supporters to cheer him on.


Now, as I've said, I think the idea of a big wheel race is awesome. But it definitely could have been better organized. Five kids raced at a time, and there were a LOT of kids. The lady calling out names didn't have a megaphone or anything, and would often have to call out names 5, 6, 7 times before she was heard. So that took a while. S waited well over an hour for his race. I was proud of his patience.

:::waiting:::

:::waiting:::

:::waiting:::

Finally, ready to rumble down the track.

As soon as he crossed the finish line, he disolved into tears because he didn't win his race. But then a lady came by handing out ribbons and made everything better.

Oh, this is not the Pumpkin Festival, but it is a pumpkin farm.

Ackerman Farms is a cute little place on the edge of town. The boys and I went over there after school one day to pick up some fall decorations.

Also, we got our kitty loving in for the day.

Opening night for the Pumpkin Festival carnival. I could not believe how crowded it was! T just barely came up to the height requirement line for this ride, so I watched him nervously the whole time. He didn't seem too crazy about it.

S and I rode the Pumkin Patch ride. I nearly lost my supper. Never again.

S rode the kiddy coaster all by himself and loved it.


Here we are on the ferris wheel. He was not a fan of sitting on the very top as we waited for the rest of the seats to be emptied and filled. Once we got going, though, he enjoyed himself.

And, finally, Mario and friends took first place in the pumpkin decorating contest. Well deserved, if you ask me.
This weekend we are heading down to see my Grandma. It won't be the most relaxing trip ever... Grandma is suffering some residual pain from an old case of the shingles, so I want to go out of my way to be helpful and avoid creating any extra work for her. I'm also not expecting the best sleep of my life. Basically, I'm prepared to be totally spent by the time we get back. But it will be worth it to see my Grandma and hopefully (fingers crossed) to eat her scrambled eggs.

2 comments:

Mama Niccicoco said...

Sounds like a great birthday.

man i thought it rained all weekend of the pumpkin fest? we should have went. that big wheel race looked rad!

Ruby Khan said...

My husband got that same card from my mom for his birthday on Friday. I'm not sure the song will ever get unstuck from my head.

Happy birthday!