Wednesday, September 17, 2008

dreaded catch-up post

When did In Rainbows come out? Last fall? I don't know, but it feels like about a year since I've heard it. I listened again this morning on my walk and guess what? Radiohead in the fall still makes my heart want to explode. I don't care if that song is about a stalker or something else equally creepy, to me it's still mad sexy.

Nate, you got honey all over the keyboard this morning, honey. Don't do that, please. Honey.

I don't know why I can't keep this thing up. I feel really busy lately, but I don't know what with. I guess just school and various fall activities. I'm making more of an effort to keep up with housework, because it seems that having clean laundry and dishes makes our morning routine go much more smoothly. Who knew?

I made this shirt for S, who after the first Friday of Kindergarten came home and complained that he was the only kid in the school not wearing a Lincoln Lions shirt. Exaggerations aside, I felt for the boy but didn't know where to get the official school gear. I also didn't really want to pay whatever over the top fundraising price the PTO might be charging. So I picked up a cheap green shirt at Target and made my own. I really like how it turned out, barring a few minor stitching errors. I made my own lion stencil using clip art I found on google image search and this freezer paper stencil method. The freezer paper stencils made their rounds through the craft blogs long ago. I might be the last crafter on earth to try them. But I finally did, and they were really fun. You should try it. Check out this super tutorial. Anyway, I stitched the text because it seemed too hard to cut out with an exacto knife as part of the stencil. Then I decided to embroider the lion on a whim. It was the first time I used variagated floss, and I was thrilled with the result. Perfect for the highlights and lowlights of a lion mane.
I know I'm going on and on about this shirt, and I'm sorry. Just one more thing. S had been elated about his new shirt while I was working on it. When I was done, he decided it needed eyes and that without eyes the entire shirt was crap. I tried to explain that there was no place for eyes, that the wide-open mouth was sort of hiding the eyes. I'm not gonna lie. We argued. It got ugly. I refused to compromise my artistic vision by adding eyes. He refused to wear my masterpiece if I did not. I said fine and that I would throw the shirt away (trying to call his bluff). He remained steadfast in his refusal of the shirt and nonchalantly took a lap around the kitchen on the plasma car. After a while, we cooled down. We talked about something else. Then I finally told him that if he chose not to wear the shirt, it would hurt my feelings. So he wore it. I can't decide whether I was being honest or manipulative. I'm working on another lion shirt now, with a much simpler design. It will feature a silhouette with an eye, so I don't foresee any battles.

On Friday Nate and I are attending a wedding of an old friend of his. A few weeks ago we had him over for dinner along with his lovely fiancee and their baby girl. They were so sweet and we're looking forward to spending more time with them in the future. I'm 98% sure they don't read this blog, so here is an embroidery I made for part of their wedding gift. I wanted to keep the design simple and modern, but also sweet and warm. I used an illustration I found on a greeting card and a quote that I like from George Sand, who, I learned, is a woman. I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. The blue wool (I think? I'm not a fabric expert) that I used was kind of a pain. Lots of excess fuzzies to clean up and work around. But I do like how it looks, so I guess it was worth the extra effort.

I've been trying to take advantage of this weather and get outside more with the boys. If I'm on the ball, I will pack up an easy picnic before we pick S up from school and then just go straight to a park for lunch and play. I still owe a debt of gratitude to Angela for teaching me about the non-fussy picnic. I don't know why exactly, but before we picniced with them in Barcelona, I would have thought of packing up a lunch as being a lot of work. Now it is so simple to just throw some cheese sticks, apples, and bread into a bag and go. Sometimes we even pack a baguette and I feel very European. Yesterday we took a picnic lunch to the woodsy park on the edge of town and had a great time. We saw this tiny snake which was our first real encounter with wildlife out there, not counting squirrels.

I guess that's all for today. I'll try to be back soon.

6 comments:

Megan said...

The shirt looks very nice. Now as for the picnic, I bet my kids would excited to do that too!

Bonnie said...

Oh goodness! I love that sweet embroidery. Oh, LB, you are my craft idol (well, you're tied with my friend Katie but she's an excellent person to be tied for #1 with. I promise.)

Colin said...

I think I need a Lincoln Lions shirt, and would be willing to pay top dollar for one. With or without eyes.

Maiasaura said...

thank you, ladies!!!

colin, you do have a birthday coming up... is lincoln lions really your preferred design?

Mama Niccicoco said...

I like your homemade Lions shirt, but my 5 year old would have pitched the same fit about the eye or who knows what else. When did 5 year old boys become such little perfectionists? Maybe it's just ours'.
I was there when Em & brandon opened your embroidery, they LOVED it. You are so talented girl!
Your photos from the picnic were also adorable. (:

Maiasaura said...

Niccole, I'm so glad they liked the embroidery. So, so glad. Thanks for telling me that... made my day. xo