Wednesday, July 2, 2008

lonely orb.

I have one little tomato on my sad looking plant. My mother in law assures me that tomato plants often look sickly and still produce, but if that's true in the case of this plant, my question is: Oh, cute little tomato, where are all your brothers and sisters? Maybe the pot I used is too small.

My other seeds are slowly coming along. Something has been digging around in my pots, sadly, and I think there is an ant colony operating in my swiss chard. I'm an extremely lazy gardener this year. I'm in experimental mode, just trying it out, without any expectations or even hopes for a harvest. Next year I want to invest more time and space to growing our food. I want to put a few raised beds in the side yard, and I'll put up some kind of fence to keep the critters out. For now, I'm willing to surrender my experimental seedlings to whatever neighborhood creature wants to chow down. Next year, no such luck, little veggie diggers.
See that blank spot to the right? That's where the scoundrel laid into my chard.

My poor peas were looking scraggly already, then suffered the worst digging damage of all my plants. Certainly will not be surprised if these do not produce.


Yesterday marked one week on my cleanse. I followed it very strictly (no alcohol, caffeine, sugar, gluten, or animal products) and found it to be pretty easy. What I missed most was SUGAR, confirming what I already knew: I have a serious sweet tooth and may indeed have a sugar addiction. What surprised me most was how little I missed all the meat and dairy products. I think I could quite happily go vegan, if so inclined (which, currently, I am not). Today I let myself ease up a little, indulging in some chocolate. I wish I hadn't done that, as now all I can think about is sugarsugarsugarsugarsugar. I'm going to try to get back on track for week 2 of the cleanse tomorrow.

This week I've been babysitting a neighbor of ours, a six year old boy. He is a good kid, but boisterous just like my own two men. Let me tell you, I am exhausted. In parenting as in math, three is greater than two, and the extra work caused by this numerical increase leaves me wiped out at the end of the day. Tonight I could not face the prospect of cooking dinner. The kitchen was clean (Thank you, Deb. xo), and I desperately wanted it to stay that way. After 15 minutes of debate, we gave in to the boys' loud chanting of, "McDonalds!!!!!" As we waited in the busy drive-through line, I thought I would order fries and a chocolate shake. Then at the last minute I heard myself ask for a salad, hold the chicken. I guess the cleanse is doing some good for this body of mine.
On Monday, the boy I am babysitting saw me working on some embroidery and showed a keen interest. That afternoon the older boys each did some stitching of their own. This was his first effort. A portrait of his dad, complete with grass, sky, and sun! I was really impressed.

1 comment:

Jay M. said...

I am incredibly impressed by your willpower and ability to stick with the cleansing program. My willpower against food is just plain weak. Please keep us updated on the progress, and especially, challenges.

Segue – I too love Baskin Robbins Mint Chocolate Chip. There are few things better than a scoop of that with a scoop of the Peanut Butter Chocolate.

Sigh.