Thursday, April 3, 2008

goals for the new house, plus a sneak peak.

It's Thursday. The moving truck comes tomorrow. I'm here by myself today. The boys are with their Grandma, and I have this last day to tidy up. We don't want the movers slipping on any stray Matchbox cars. I have plenty to do today... a little more packing, about 5 loads of laundry so we can have clean linens once we reassemble the beds. Thankfully, though, most of the work is done. I owe a HUGE thank-you to my mother in law for helping me pack. I don't know how I could have done it without her. Also, big thanks to my own mom who hauled away two van fulls of stuff to donate. I know we'll have a lot of help on the other end of the move, too, and I'm glad for that.
I'm so, so excited to get into our new house. It's going to be great. I'm confident that the move will go well. The plan is to stick all the boxes in the TWO CAR GARAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and just bring them in and empty them as we have time. I think that will allow us to live a somewhat normal life from the get-go, instead of tripping over boxes for the next three months.
I'm looking forward to a clean slate, a new start. I'm assigning more hopes and goals to this move than I have ever written out on a New Year's resolutions list. I'm going to write them here, as a reminder for myself. Please don't laugh at my dreams.

-I want to let the style of the house come together more organically than I have before. I'm not going to hang up pictures just because I have them. I want to hang up things that I (we, hopefully) absolutely love. If I don't have anything that I absolutely love for that spot over the couch for a year, so be it.
-Same thing with furniture. I don't want to buy some pressed board piece of furniture at Target just because we have a little empty space in the landing. I want to wait until we have the time and money to buy pieces we adore. The means we'll make due with all the Ikea components we have for now. It's all about the patience with this house. And less is more. That's my new house mantra.
-I want to watch way less tv than I currently do. I think this can be accomplished, despite my many failed attempts to cut back before. We are going to have the tv in the basement, not on the main floor. I generally don't like spending time in basements, so I hope the siren song of the tv isn't strong enough to override that aversion. Also we're not going to hook up the cable, so that should help.
-Maintain a regular cleaning routine. Maybe not Flylady level, but something better than what I've been doing for the past two years (invite people over, clean my butt off before they arrive).
-Still haven't forgotten about Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. I want to stop buying most of the processed food we usually consume and make them ourselves instead. Bread, snacks, cereal, pizza crust, etc. I know it won't happen all at once, but I really want to move in that direction. I also want to shop for our produce at farmers' markets this year, and next spring start our own garden. We've got plenty of yard for a proper garden. Can't wait.
Okay, this is getting long. I probably have more to say, but I need to get to work. Probably will be a while before I get a chance to blog again. We won't have internet access until Tuesday. How will we survive?

2 comments:

Banana Mama said...

I'm so happy for you guys that you have that cute looking house to dream about and make a good life in. Can't wait to hear how all those dreams come true.

Angela said...

So exciting!!!!!