Friday, March 21, 2008

highest hopes, stay with me everywhere and forever.

The Runaway Bunny tattoo is finished now. This is the picture I gave to Jamie, my tattoo artist.

And this is what she gave to me. I think it came out beautifully. My only complaint is that her canvas wasn't a bit smaller in circumference and more toned. But she's just an artist, not a miracle worker.
Okay, I do have one legitimate criticism, which is that I wish the words home and to were spaced further apart. But that is on the back of my arm. I don't see it much, so it doesn't bother me much. And it's a pretty nit-picky complaint about such an amazing piece of work. I really love it.

This tattoo represents my highest aspirations as a mother. You can probably read it, but just in case, it says, "If you become a bird and fly away from me, I will be a tree that you come home to."

I know that the flight of my boys is not a matter of if, but when. They will fly away from me as they grow and go out into the world. S's ascent will begin in earnest this fall, when he goes to kindergarten.

With this tattoo, I give my boys and myself a visual reminder of my hope to be a safe landing place for them, throughout their entire lives. To me, this means unconditional love, support, and acceptance, no matter what. A tall order, I know. But I think it's a goal worth shooting for, and a sentiment lovely enough to take with me for the rest of my life. You know, on my arm.

5 comments:

Megan said...

beautiful, both the art and the sentiment behind it

Angela said...

The other day Lily and I read a book my aunt and uncle had given her ages ago but we never read. Turns out it is The Runaway Bunny but in Spanish. Imagine my surprise when we turned a page and there was your tattoo....

Banana Mama said...

Your kids have a great mama, and a cool one too. The tattoo looks really neat and seeing it sent me on a lengthy time-wasting binge looking at pictures of tattoos online. You are my hero/bad influence.

ockraz said...

I was googling The Runaway Bunny and found your tattoo pictures. I thought that you might like to see these...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/karpanka/3137790576/

and

http://www.bmeink.com/A80728/high/n15z-the-runaway-bunny.jpg

ockraz said...

PS: This is pretty cool too...

http://www.mermaidtheatre.ns.ca/repertory/goodnightmoon.shtml