Thursday, February 14, 2008

sweet treats for sweet hearts








Today I decided to put my chart aside and try to have a special Valentine's day with the boys. We started off with a small bag of gifts for each of them, featuring little toy dinosaurs and the like. After breakfast, we made chocolate cupcakes. They were good. You know what was not good, though? My ability to keep calm with two little "helpers" in the kitchen. I will admit it right now: I am TERRIBLE at cooking with my boys. Baking is especially hard, as I see it as a very exact science, with little to no room for error. I have a hard time letting messes and happy mistakes happen. Also, I'm a hypocrite. S was anxious about T's untidy brand of help, and I encouraged him to relax, that getting a little cocoa powder on his nose was part of the fun. The next minute, I snapped at S for spilling the buttermilk when he crawled onto the counter in an effort to get closer to the bowl. Fantastic. How fun that must have been for him. Sigh.

The cupcakes turned out well, and I think all potential wounds were healed when I let them lick the mixer paddles (is that what they're called?). I just wish I could be more relaxed about cooking with them. I think it will get easier as they get older, but I'm afraid they won't be interested in helping if we don't get an early start.

My other major project today was to make tamales for Nate's Valentine gift. That is an undertaking, let me tell you. Hope you enjoyed the cupcake pics. Tamale post to follow.

2 comments:

Bonnie said...

I can't help myself - your boys are sooooo cute!

MJ Watson said...

Wow, I've been offline for far too long. How I miss you and your glorious family!! And when did the boys turn into men?!