Saturday, January 12, 2008

adventures in househunting.

I don't know if I've mentioned here that we are looking for a house in the country. I really want a lot of space for the boys to run around and explore all day. This way they won't miss the tv when it disappears. Well, as it turns out, finding a country house is not an easy task. Some listings claim to be in the country but are actually in a subdivision. Others really are country, but are out of our price range because they include farming facilities.

We are doing a lot of driving these days. We try to get a feel for the location so we know whether it's worth setting up a time to actually look inside the house.
This week I saw a listing for a house on 7 acres, outside of a small town. I put the boys in the car and set out to do a drive-by. It took a while to get there, as I got lost on the back roads. The boys were extremely patient.

I wasn't sure if the phrase, "too country," would be in my vocabulary during this hunt, especially since it's so hard to find country options. But now I know it is. This place was definitely too country. Beautiful, but much too country.
I couldn't believe how far out it was. We just kept driving and driving. I was on the verge of turning around for miles, thinking surely I'd gone too far. But something told me to keep going and we finally arrived.

Truly, it was gorgeous out there. And I could envision our lives there, for a minute. Two things, ultimately, turned me against this extremely remote location. First, we drove over some hills that would rival any Six Flags attraction. Seriously huge, steep hills. They were a little scary on a sunny, dry day. I shuddered to imagine driving over them with even the lightest dusting of snow. Or ice. Yikes. Second, I thought of S's daily trip to school. I think it's safe to estimate that his bus ride would last at least an hour, maybe longer. And I don't want to do that to him. So, goodbye 7 acres.
We got lost again trying to get back to town after looking at that place. Then we needed to take some nourishment. Steak n Shake is good for that.
Some burgers and milkshakes in our belly and we were ready to set out again. We drove by probably 6 other houses that day. None of them really struck a chord.

Today our whole afternoon is dedicated to the hunt. We are going out with our Realtor and will finally be going inside some places. Exciting, and exhausting.

Finally, I just want to say that my husband makes the best bacon and egg breakfast anywhere ever. Do bacon and egg competitions exist? Cuz he could bring it.

1 comment:

Colin said...

I'm excited to hear that you're looking for a country house. I look forward to deer hunting with your boys when they are older.