Monday, December 31, 2007

Holiday Recap

And we're back, after an unscheduled hiatus. The holiday week was very full and didn't leave much time for blogging. When both Grandmas mentioned my internet absence on the same day, I knew it was time to get back to it.
We had a really wonderful Christmas all around. We are the happy owners of many cool new toys, books, games, gadgets and more. Far too many things to list.
The boys are over the moon with all their new stuff. I am feeling very satisfied with our/Santa's choices. I also asked the Grandparents to follow some very particular guidelines regarding gifts this year, and they graciously complied. I hope following my directives didn't take any of the fun out of gift-giving. I certainly appreciated all the extra lengths they went to to avoid plastic and batteries. The boys didn't notice a thing.
I feel very fortunate, indeed, that we are able to give and receive so lavishly at this special time. I revel, too, in the fact that Nate gets over a week off from work, from Christmas to New Year's. Last year he had to go back to the warehouse at 11 pm on Christmas night. Having him home all week this year has had me feeling very lucky, thankful, festive. All of that.

We had a lot of great visits with friends and family. The Wii saw some heavy action. The boys ran around with their cousins like a pack of wild coyotes. Pounds of delicious food were ingested.
On Friday Nate stayed with the boys while I went to the tattoo shop for many hours. I was under the needle, so to speak, for about 3 hours. The tattoo is one that I've wanted for ages, and I'm so excited to finally be getting it done. I have to go back in three weeks to finish it up. That's how big it is: a two-parter. I'll try to post some pictures soon.
Today I have a heinous cold. There are Kleenex and Cold-Eeze wrappers everywhere. If I had to get sick, the tail end of break is the best time, I think. Nate's still around, but all the holiday hubbub has subsided, leaving me free to lay around and sniffle.
Tonight Nate is driving to Chicago for New Year's Eve, leaving me here with the boys. He felt bad about doing this, at first, but I convinced him I honestly don't mind. He's going to dj a house party with our friend Paul. I know he'll have more fun there than he would at home, with his miserable wife trying to keep her eyes open until the ball drops.

Oh, nevermind. Heavy snow made him turn around, poor guy.

Do you guys make resolutions? I remember taking them very seriously as a youngster. I always wrote them down and then hid them. Probably because they were things like, "Stop picking my nose." I'm not even joking.

As an adult I constantly have so many goals for self improvement... read more, write more, play with the boys more, craft more, exercise more, eat better, watch less tv, etc. So making resolutions feels pretty redundant. I just welcome the New Year and keep chugging along on all the things I'm already trying to change.

There is one thing I want to do this year, though. I'm starting to feel pretty guilty about our plastic bag consumption. I always get plastic bags at the grocery store, and I rarely recycle them (except for using them to wrap up poopy diapers, but I think the non-biodegradable diaper negates any points I get for recycling that one bag). My goal for 2008 is to get in the habit of taking cloth bags when I go shopping. I've seen some really cool ones around the blogosphere. I'll let you guys know what I end up buying.

Hey, everybody have a safe and happy New Year. Love to you all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey, Laura. Did you know you can take your plastic bags and recycle them at Walmart? They have bins where you can deposit them. Also, I know Theo is older now, but I have been doing cloth diapers with Evangeline for 4months and fine it is surprisingly EASY. It is not the huge gross laborious thing that I've always imagined it to be. It is NO big deal. It makes me sick to think of all the money I spent on disposables for my other girls. You should definitely consider it. If you have any questions, call me, but I think EVERYONE should at least try it. Having said that, I only have ONE in diapers. If I was a mom with two kids in diapers at the same time, i probably would not use cloth, at least not on both. But anyway, I just want to erase the myth that it is a ton of work, cuz it's not. Think about it.
Sarah Hedman