Sunday, September 16, 2007

Stitching Basket

This basket holds my embroidery projects. It also frequently holds the audio book I'm currently listening to. Right now I'm working my way through Barack Obama's second book. I listened to his first book too, and really enjoyed it. In fact, I sort of fell in love with him. I guess you could say I'm rooting for him. You could say that, if you're the kind of person who'd say Niagara Falls is a delicately trickling brook. I think I'd be equally willing to root for Hillary, though, if it comes to that.My current project is something I've been thinking about for along time. For a year, in fact. It has changed periodically. At first I thought it would say, "It's been four months since we moved. I still miss Chicago." Then I thought it would say seven months. Then eleven months. Now it's been over a year, and the phrase still holds true. I like the design from an aesthetic standpoint, but it's also been therapeutic for me to stitch out these words.
I plan to put this piece in my shop. I don't think I want to look at it every day. But I have enjoyed working on it so far.
Now that these words are out of my head and made into something tangible, tactile, I realize they will always be true, no matter what the quantification of time in the first line. They are forever correct, infinitely accurate.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

saw the finished piece on flickr, love it so much. looks like i'll be moving to boston from chicago in the fall . . . i'm sure i'll miss it too.