Sunday, September 23, 2007

BirthdayLove

birthday flowers from Nate

Yesterday I wrote about all the ways I want to change myself. Today, my birthday, I'm going to do the opposite. Here are some things I love about myself and my life. Again, in no particular order.
stripetastic matching jammies
I'm a damn good cook. I've come a long, long way from the days of serving Betty Crocker boxed scalloped potatoes and canned green beans for dinner. I can cook a lot of things. I can improvise or follow any recipe without fear. Once my boys start actually eating the healthy, delicious dinners I make, my joy will be complete.

walking to the farmers' market

My kids are amazing. Healthy and unbelievably gorgeous, yes. They are those things. But they are also so much more. They are brave and secure. They are sweet and loving. They are carefree and happy. Mothering is not easy. I have my conflicts with the boys, sure. I know the true test, though, is when they leave the house. It's a little early to comment on T in this regard. But I've had many opportunities to watch S in various environments. He is polite, he is kind, he is confident and perceptive. Ultimately, as a parent, the goal must be to prepare children to interact with the world. And when I watch my boys do that, I feel very proud. High five, me! (and Nate, of course. But this is my birthday blog post, not his.)

oatmeal pancakes, annual birthday breakfast

I'm not afraid of bikes. Eight years ago I had a nasty bike accident. I was hit by a minivan; it was pretty terrifying. This year I started biking again, finally. And I love it, even with the boys pestering each other in the trailer behind me.

gripping drama, starring spongy dinosaurs
Weekend birthdays are so nice.
Hope you all had a great weekend, too.

2 comments:

Oliver said...

I wish we lived next door to you.
And I wish I was a little like you.
The cooking, the thoughtfulness, the crafts - all wonderful.

Maiasaura said...

oliver, you are killing me.

thank you, thank you, thank you.