Monday, June 4, 2007

First CSA Casualties

When we picked up our CSA vegetables on Tuesday, I looked at the beets and assumed they were pretty hardy. I've never cooked with beets before, but their appearance made me think I could just throw them in the fridge and not worry much about them. Wrong.





Here is how our beets looked this morning, 6 days later.


I was very sad to see the state of my beets, both because I knew I'd have to throw them away and because it put me in a tight fix for tonight's dinner of beet soup.

So, off we went to Meijer to get some beets. They had plenty, though they were surely inferior to Farmer Henry's beets. First off, they weren't organic. Also, they had guzzled gas all the way from California to get to us here in Central Illinois.

Oh well. Next time I'll know that I need to use the beets right away, or else store them in a special way (laying unwrapped on the bottom shelf of the fridge is not special, we now know).

As for dinner, I hope Deborah Madison delivers her usual tasty fare. I have faith in her.

The rest of our week using CSA veggies went well. We had several tasty dinners, and the Rhubarb Stir Cake was fantastic. Kind of like a coffee cake. You'll definitely see it in this year's Holiday cookbook.

Tomorrow we pick up our next batch of vegetables. Until then...

1 comment:

Banana Mama said...

I am so excited that you have a craft blog and etsy shop! You truly belong in the electronic halls of the craftastic. I'll be checking everything out all the time!